Sunday, May 30, 2010

Featured Artist May 22nd-29th: iKnitQuiltSew

Wow another week flew past without me even realizing it! Once again I'm slacking in my blogging duties... time management skills need some intense focusing. I'm hoping Sandi of iKnitQuiltSew will forgive me for my tardiness. Once you see her work you'll understand my extreme embarassment in being so late getting her the proper feature.  Allow me to share some background, Sandi has been creating her works for over 40 years and just opened her etsy shop in February of this year, a blog and facebook page were soon to follow. She was originally taught to sew and knit by her grandmother using patterns passed down through the generations from her great-grandmother. Several years ago she decided to expand her knowledge to include quilting and taught herself from a book. I relate to this in that my grandmother and mother taught me to do cross stich and crochet when I was preschool aged. As I got slightly older my grandmother taught me the basics of quilting, I lacked the patience to ever complete a single peice though and never learned all the steps involved. My mother has several of my grammy's decorative squares for safe keeping. I'm also reminded of a story I frequently read to my children called "The Quilt Story" that is about a quilt which is carried to a new home on the frontier by a young girl and later put in the attic only to be found by another girl who moves into the home generations later. Sandi's quilts, teddy bears, dolls and even her knit items could easily be substituted into this story. Anyone lucky enough to posses one of her creations would do well to cherish and enjoy them to the fullest. Take a journey down memory lane and experience all the emotion and care put into every single creation of hers, be sure to have a tissue handy as tears are apt to accompany you.

5 comments:

Brenda's Wearable Art said...

I love all of her work, especially fond of the Sock Monkeys.

Sandi Levy said...

Thank you SO MUCH for this lovely article! I am so flattered!

jewelry by NaLa said...

I want to hug that teddy bear, and I just love that doll with the wild and crazy hair!

Handmade Artists' Forum and Shop said...

Great post for a great artist. Love her work!
HAF

TamsJewelry said...

Gosh I love her work!